Feb 22, 2011

A Little Christmas Surprise

I am working on that strange 24 ct purple fabric we've been discussing in The Sampler Life (Yahoo Group).  I could not resist stitching on something strange and unidentifiable. For years, I've made a habit of perusing flea markets and yard sales, often exclaiming "I could stitch on that!" meaning, I could see the holes well enough and that the fabric had some sort of appeal to me. Usually it would be an old table cloth or length from a set of curtains.  Most often, rather rustic, and aged - which I love desperately to use for antique style samplers.

Well, this piece has been in my box of 'Great Finds' for more than 30 years now.  I think that in spite of its woolen looking appearance, it must be synthetic. It is quite springy and has many wonderful flecks and threads in it, giving character that one does not often see in commercial cross stitch fabrics. Best, it just happens to be 24 ct even weave.

So, this yard of lovely purple or aubergine fabric is now the subject of a Christmas ornament I am experimenting with. Here it is as a WIP.  While I have mapped out several color palettes, this one is DMC 3810 teal, and some a pink to red range 152, 223 and 221, more on the wame side. So if your monitor is not showing, true, just imagine the combinations.

I am not likely to show more after this as this IS a surprise and will be going to a far away place on or before the end of March (I have a deadline) where it will hide until a month or so before Christmas.  :-)

Back to the purple fabric - if ANYONE in the wide world has ever seen a 24 count fabric like this, let me know.  I would so love to have a name to give it.

-Deb

3 comments:

  1. I know nothing about this fabric but it really looks nice! Too bad we have to wait so long to see your finished ornament ;-)
    Funny what you are telling about your fleamarket habits, because I do the same. I stitched a little swan on such a fabric recently.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently inherited a lot of old linens and things from my grandmother and aunt who recently passed away. Some of the items are not in particularly good condition and I've wondered why I wanted them so much.
    But you've given me an idea that I might be able to reuse some of that fabric for a project. It would make a very meaningful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually that looks like Heatherfield fabric, but it's an older color and I don't know the name of it. You could probably call Wichelt and find out the name of it. Maybe get on Legacy Embroiderer's Guild site and ask if anyone has the color name. I am sure it is that fabric as the specks are very similar to their style/type of fabric, and I have some of it, but my colors do not include this plum shade.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Deb

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.