Apr 21, 2015

Shedding New Light on "This Abode"

"Emily Dickinson's poetry has intrigued and enthralled generations ever since her death in 1886. She lived in Amherst, Massachusetts, in a successful family with strong community ties, but leading a mainly reclusive and introverted existence, exploring her own world of emotions and feelings through her poetry."  There quite a bit more information is provided here www.emilydickinsonpoems.org/

One of Emily Dickinson's most thought provoking poems is ‘Though the great Waters sleep', written in her typically unusual use of form and syntax.  In this work, she expressed her thoughts and belief of life beyond the grave.  These are beliefs which I also wanted to portray in my 2014 cross stitch design “This Abode”, which was inspired by her poem.

When I created my cross stitch needlework design, 'This Abode', I intended to use a poetic venue to illustrate my faith in God and my belief Heaven.  The inspiration for my design originated with the aforementioned Dickinson poem which I believed, after significant research, clarified my thinking.   However, I want to want to be sure the poem's spiritual meaning (nor mine) has not been misunderstood.  

I provide, as part of my investigations, the analysis of this and other Dickinson's work, by eminent an Author and Classics Professor David Preest of Oxford University (Oxford, England) discusses each of her 1,789 poems.  He writes, in part: “In this poem, the deaths of two of her dearest men renew her faith in God. ‘The great Waters’ appear to sleep, but they have within them the Deep Waters which we cross to get to Heaven. The last three lines are as positive as Emily’s remark in personal letters:  ‘This life is so good, that it seems impossible for it to be wholly interrupted by death’.  Please learn more below.   (http://www.emilydickinsonpoems.org/ 

 In addition, the details of my design are these: Size 203 x 204; Finished size on Weeks’ Dye Works 30 ct “Morris Blue” linen over 2 threads of fabric = 13 2/3” square; This design can be worked over 1 thread of fabric- it is all straight cross stitch.